Monday, April 21, 2008

Would you make an award-winning wildlife photographer?

You are in the middle of a river in Russia photographing the salmon. You turn round and see a bear has crept up very close to you. Do you:
a) Scream, fling your camera in the air, turn and begin to splish-splosh run down the river, fall and get eaten?
b) Take a photo of the bear, calmly walk away, and become an award-winning wildlife photographer?

* * * * * * * *

There were some amazing photos in the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Natural History Museum, including some by very articulate and talented young photographers. You have to be very patient, brave, hardy, fit, lucky, stupid (delete as appropriate) to make the grade.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been watching the Beeb on Tigers? Crackingly good!

Furtheron said...

Patience - my son has tried some wildlife stuff - patience is the major requirement... I don't have way near enough

CherryPie said...

I did used to live next to someone who made his living as a wild life photographer. He still does in fact! He does sideshows of his work and has some funny and scary stories to tell about his adventures!

Leslie: said...

Reminds me of when I lived in the wilderness and got out of the car to go see the salmon - dead and alive in the shallow creek. Suddenly, I realized that it was the season for bear to come down to check them out, too! I screamed at my daughter to get to the car IMMEDIATELY and we both RAN and got in - adrenaline shooting through my body! Stupid Stupid Stupid!!! I don't think I'd make a wildlife photographer.

James Higham said...

Or stand rooted to the spot, too terrified to do anything.

Neva said...

would that be before or after I c++++ed my britches>????? I would not be that close to wildlife I hope!!!