Wednesday, April 30, 2008

In the bluebell wood

It started raining when I was getting ready to walk George but as the rain that had begun when I was hanging out washing lasted barely 5 minutes, I wasn't too concerned. I should have been. It poured down on us. Still as it's the first time in ages and ages that our walk has been rained upon I "mustn't grumble". Indeed I wouldn't be grumbling now - I don't mind walking In the rain if I'm prepared - if the rain hadn't kept plip-plopping down the back of my neck.


In the rain the bluebells took on a darker hue and the scent was more powerful. I always want to lie down in amongst them.


I don't think it's possible to describe the colour of bluebells to someone who hasn't seen them: it is unique. There is almost a luminescence about it. Photos never do the colour justice.


I wonder if it it could be described though to a blind person. It would have to be done using sensations to which the blind person could relate. Let me see. I think the colour of bluebells is like the feeling of early spring sunshine on your skin or the smell of freshness.


Taken in last week's sunshine.

On our way home we encountered a woman who was holding an umbrella down over her face. George normally walks on my left but as she approached, he skedaddled round the back of me so he could be on my right and have me in between him and this strange phenomenon. I don't blame him. I hate umbrellas.

10 comments:

MissKris said...

Our blue bells are blooming here in Oregon right now, too, which doesn't surprise me since I've heard many times that our climate and the UK climate are very similar. Some people have actual beds of them in their yards, but they're also interspersed thruout lawns all over...such a beautiful sight! And I'm noticing several different types of violets peeking out from under various bushes and plants, too. I have many wood violets back in my shady areas...those are my particular favorites.

Ellee Seymour said...

What a stunning picture, I love bluebells, I'm hoping to go on some walks in bluebell woods too.

caroline said...

What a lovely photo with George in the bluebells.my dogs hate the rain
boxers are known for that,i have to push them out:0(
When you see a toy dog they look okay wearing a doggie coat,but not a boxer they look funny:0)

Suburbia said...

He looks great posing in the bluebells!

Barbara said...

I love bluebells they are my favourite flower, I hope I can get out at the weekend to take some photos, lovely photo of George in the bluebells

CherryPie said...

Aww! pure cutie are you sure he wasn't just making an excuse to get in that beautiful bluebell wood? I would have made an excuse to get in there :-)

Leslie: said...

That photo is worthy of enlarging and framing. He looks so handsome and you'd never know he's such a monkey!

jmb said...

George is turning into a dog now, isn't he? We don't have bluebells in the woods here so I am enjoying that beautiful photo, plus I remember them from the two Springs I spent in the UK.
Blogger seems to have fixed the captchas. Yeah!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Lovely picture Liz...I love Bluebells, don't if there are any near me though!!

Dragonstar said...

He is such a handsome dog now, he doesn't look like a chubby puppy any more.