Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I can believe it's not butter

I was putting sultana bread in the oven on Sunday evening when Husband came into the kitchen. 'Why are you making cake when I'm away all week?'
'I'm on a diet.'
Husband looked at me strangely. 'And making a cake helps?'
'A girl has to have a little treat.'
Husband rolled his eyes.
But sultana bread is quite low-fat. Until you spread a thick layer of butter on it. Which I don't of course.
Although a little butter is probably better for me than these Lite Diet spreads full of strange ingredients and spellings that I use. But there's the nub. Those two words: a little. I can no more do 'a little' butter than I can do 'a little' cheese. Or 'a little' treat.
But sometimes only a piece of cake will fill the gap. (I am so good at dieting.)
xx
P.S. you know these labels that Blogger lets you assign to your post? What's the point of them? Are they for my benefit or for search engines? Should I fill them in more helpfully?
P.P.S. Now I'm going to have a look at feeds and see if I can work out how to find out if my favourite bloggers have updated their sites. I think it was jmb who told me how to do it but I've forgotten again.
P.P.P.S. I already had a Google Reader set up with some of my favourites! What do you know?!
xx

12 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

I prefer to spread bacon fat on mine ... yup! It's not low fat and I know it.q

Leslie: said...

mmmmm....yummy, looks good. Have you ever tried it toasted? I'm like you in that if it calls for butter/marg or whatever, a little never does it right. lol

XXYXX said...

MMMMmmmmmmmm. Love fruity breads with lashings/dietary appropriate amounts of butter. I'm bit of a caker myself, much to the pleasure of my chums, as I can't just bake and then eat The Whole Thing myself. I really can't. No no, that would be very wrong.

PS The labels in Blogger are so that obsessives can cross catalogue their posts into a nice neat index, and the rest of us can insert cheeky mad ranty sub-texts to our posts.

sally in norfolk said...

great looking bread....

Joy Des Jardins said...

I love my butter Liz....unfortunately. I can't eat bread without smearing it all over. I've heard the same thing...butter is actually better for you than the lite spreads. See...doesn't that make you feel better?

CherryPie said...

Now that picture spoils my diet thoughts, mmm maybe the glass of wine I have right by me does to...

I use google reader but I always make sure I click into peoples blogs too, so they know I have visited even if I don't have time to comment!

Gledwood said...

Now Liz, what on earth do you mean by my blog "freeezes your puta"~~??~? the mind boggles severely!!

jmb said...

That sounds like my kind of thing for a treat but I'm doing low carb so I'll have to pass. Of course it's not butter.
The only use I know for the labels in each post is so you can find them amongst your own list easily, when you want to link. But then what do I know?
I like bloglines better than google reader but frankly I use both. I read most in bloglines but google reader keeps the posts so if I am looking for an older one to link to I look in google reader. I did explain Bloglines somewhere on DTB one time. But most people seem to like google reader.

James Higham said...

Scrumptious indeed.

caroline said...

Now im starving for that cake you mind George dont nab it (Gulp)

Katney said...

If you use consistent labels, then you can click on the label and see all the posts that it pertains to. For example, if you click on my "Mountain Madness" label on one of my Mt. Rainier posts, it will bring up o ther posts with Mt. Rainier pictures and you can have a complet tour. If there is an ongoing saga, then having a label on it will make it so someone can go back and follow it from the beginning.

Suburbia said...

When you get some answers to all your P.S's let me know!
Although I have just read Bobos comment and so I can forget the lables thing, thats good, I thought they seemed a bit pointless (so I didn't miss the point).........Rambling sorry.........going now