Thursday, January 31, 2008

George, the good and the bad but never the ugly

The Good
George went swimming yesterday! His first time.

He was wading in quite deeply so I threw a stick a bit further out in the deeper part of the river. He waded as far as he could and then, very tentatively, launched himself into doggy paddle! I was ever so slightly over-excited. It's a good job we were alone in the woods (apart from the fairies but they don't mind).

He brought the stick back and I sent him in again twice more. What a star! Then we walked on a bit further and he kept running to the water's edge and waiting. I was the one who was reluctant to send him in as the poor little thing is so skinny that he was shivering when he came out.

But then he lost his nerve. And would only fetch the stick if he could stree-tt-cc-h over and reach it without swimming. I think the trouble was that he was swimming with his mouth open - and under the water with a lot of resulting spluttering when he emerged.

Still, next time ...

Then this morning he brought some mail in to me that the postman had delieverd through the letterbox. Admittedly I think he only fetched it as he was planning on settling down to eat it but at least he's getting the right idea.

The Bad
He escaped again this morning. The wind in the night blew away my barricade and he was off. I think we need an electric fence.

He dug up the plants in the tub. Not the new ones that we bought to replace the ones he destroyed last week - they have an old metal mesh tray over them (from a freezer I think) - but the ones in the other tub that weren't covered. They - or what's left of them - are now - with a seed tray and a watering can.

Never the Ugly
Then he squeezes in between the desk and chair and puts his front legs up on my lap and looks into my face with his big dark eyes and I have to stroke his silky-soft ears and give him kisses and tell him how beautiful he is, and he lays his head against my chest and keeps looking up at me ... oh, he is so gorgeous.

10 comments:

Gledwood said...

Thanks for your comment at mine I logged on now I got a call have to dash I'll be back later... just wanted to say many thanks for the Guardian/Independent info much appreciated

Leslie: said...

It is so hard to get angry with them when they're so cute and put their head in your lap!

Unknown said...

Aww can you stay angry at him for ong? Our Mimi steadfastly refuses to use her litter tray. Cleaning up after her is a pain but we just can't get angry with h the little brain damaged darling!

Unknown said...

err I meant to say long

Ruthie said...

Oh Liz, I'm glad you're so happy with the new puppy. He sounds as lovable and troublesome as a little toddler!

jmb said...

I takes great aplomb to take a cheque or some bill full of toothmarks to the bank and not apologize to the teller. I was very accomplished at that with the dog before Cleo. A miniature schnauzer who hated the mail with a passion.

Those big brown eyes will get you every time.

How is it dogs know how to swim without lessons while smart humans have to pay scads of money to master this feat?

Anonymous said...

Mutts learned to swim in the sea when I first got him and he is still up for it today - even in the bitter cold, and he likes the being dried bit as well.

Anonymous said...

And he has you totally under control. He has trained you well. Just the way ours has us trained...

Gledwood said...

Escaping! The SWINE! Reminds me of Itchy in ... itchier days...

Now... I got sent this ~ ♥ ~ with instructions to pass it around and to ask you to pass it around ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ as much as you please or can...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Aaah, congrats, George! And he's still only a baby! I know exactly how you feel... Simi sends wags and love x