Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A round-up

I haven't had time to blog for a few days so I have so many exciting tales to relate. (Bear in mind that I am not one to sail single-handedly around the world nor wrestle with hippos, so my idea of exciting might not be yours.)

Where to begin? Yesterday morning I think.

Picture this: woman in shower. Now, gentlemen, drag your minds back from images of Claudia Schiffer or Ann Widdecombe or whomever, and concentrate. After getting the worst off with a small towel, woman wraps bath towel around her. Woman becomes aware of a drip running across her back. After a moment she thinks, 'Across my back?' Woman screams, flings towel to floor, and rushes out of bathroom. Woman creeps back into bathroom and carefully unfolds rumpled towel, all the while ready to make quick exit should it be required. It isn't. Spider appears squashed and lifeless. But woman doesn't take any chances. Keeping an eye on spider, she cleans teeth, then leaves bathroom and towel for big brave man to sort out.

In work yesterday. Husband works from home on Mondays so I have changed my work day from Tuesday so I don't have to leave George alone for a long time. Not that that is relevant to this part of the story.

To get to work I have to turn right across the busy main road. Now I realise some of you would consider my idea of a busy road to be a country lane in comparison with what you drive through, but at 9 o'clock in the morning, it's busy for me. It's two lanes of steady traffic to get across. Yesterday morning we arrived at the junction, one car in front of us, and a big gap coming up. The car in front of us pulled out - and Betty stalled. And wouldn't start again until the gap had ended.

So we're sitting there, traffic building up behind us, me getting tenser and tenser. Betty you must understand, wouldn't be a bank robber's first choice for getaway vehicle; she wouldn't even be last choice. He'd probably rather run. So we need a bigger space than most. At last the closest thing to a gap appears. The car on the inside lane is turning left and there doesn't seem to be anything coming up fast in the outside lane. I say, 'Okay, Betty, this is it. Let's go!' I press down hard on the accelerator, close my eyes and pray. When I open my eyes, we're in the central bit. Yay! We made it. Well done, Betty!

Can you cope with any more excitement? Okay, last thing.

I went Christmas shopping in the afternoon. I've picked up a few bits over the weeks and, over the weekend, I checked out what i needed and what i had. Including the gifts I bought last year and then put away and forgot about, I was doing quite well. I also found the travel sickness pills I knew I'd bought for our holiday in September. But you want to know about the highlight of my day ...

I had to use a £20 note to pay the machine for £3.60 of parking. Ker-chunk, ker-chunk, ker-chunk ... I could have been in Vegas. 'I've won the jackpot!' I said to the lady standing behind me.
'Are you going to be long?' she said.

It's these little things that keep us going.

Brief interlude now while I disappear under the desk where George is eating wires.

5 comments:

Anna said...

That story would have been better if it had been one of those days when the window cleaner starts work without warning! tee hee.

jmb said...

Life in the fast lane Liz. Wait till you're retired!

Leslie: said...

I was going to say that it's too bad the episode wasn't videotaped. I don't mind spiders but not when they're crawling on me! EEEWWWW

Liz Hinds said...

Anna, that would have made it very interesting, yes!

I don't think I'll be able to cope with the pace, jmb!

A webcam in my house could earn me a fortune on those tv shows - I can't think of the names of them - where they show home movies of people doing stupid things. Actually now I come to think about it ...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, I'd have run out of the house naked because of the spider! Lovely tale of you and Betty.