Monday, May 21, 2007

Putting down and picking up

If you've been reading this blog recently you may have noticed a certain dis-ease, a dissatisfaction with various aspects of life. On the whole I am totally spoiled and have a wonderful life, but there are bits that need sorting.

And they're not really to do with outside me but inside me.

I am feeling and behaving like a fat flighty butterfly, not settling anywhere or with anything, while grumbling about it all the time. It's probably my hormones - most things are, or should be - but that can't keep on being the excuse.

I want to write; I have days supposedly dedicated to writing but at the end of them I have nothing to show for it. Except an excessive amount of blogging.

So what is the path forward?

Okay. Taking the advice of yesterday's speaker, i shall put down 'the novel'. It's been rejected by enough people; it's suffering from low self-esteem (and one of us with that is bad enough); and feelings of failure. It's time to allow it to retire gracefully.

But what instead?

I have a new novel brewing in my head, just between the question of whether it's too soon to make another cup of tea, and the words of 'Guide me O thou great Jehovah'. But, let's be honest, what I would really really like is to earn some money from writing. Beginning a new novel isn't going to do that. First I need to earn - in my own mind - the right to spend time on it.

Feature articles I could try but I'm fed up of being ignored by editors.

Short stories for the women's magazine market: that has to be the target. I've had literary stories published in literary anthologies and magazines; I've submitted loads of stories to women's weeklies and all have been rejected. I'd like to think that means I'm just too clever for that market but the fact is that I can't crack the secret.

My stories seem to fit the criteria they ask for in their guidelines but I must be doing something wrong. That must be my aim: to write to fit.

So this is my plan.

I will concentrate on writing short stories aimed at the popular market. (Actually writing any fiction will be something of a challenge as I've not written anything of late.) I will study the magazines, take advice and give this a serious chance.

In between times, I'll make notes in hand-writing for my new novel.

I will also, when I have a chance, investigate markets for my collection of Christian monologues (at a time when publishers say there is no market for monologues unless your name is Alan Bennett).

The last two I'll do instead of playing Solitaire.

This all sounds awfully challenging. But I've blogged it in the hope that it will act as a reminder to me of what I want to achieve.

And now it really is time for a cup of tea.

5 comments:

Furtheron said...

Well you are working it through aren't you... Well done.

The novel - just a thought but is it publishing it and making money that's important or getting it out to the public to read? Why not sell it via the internet - Stephen King did something where he sold a chapter a week or something.

Or just set up a new blog that is the book and post a chapter a week - then go on as many blogs as possible commenting and pointing people to the book blog. No money (well not guaranteed and straight away) but you'll get readership.

Anonymous said...

You know I share all your writing frustrations Liz - it's STOP-START all the way. I have settled for writing for writing's sake. I concentrate on my crafting, reading, being with Pete etc, (and being ill) but always come back to my writing eventually. And have told Me 'that's ok'.

Never mind all the How To books, authors' success stories and writing courses...we are who we are and we do what we do. Neither of us is lazy.

Lee said...

Your plan should be to never give up, Liz. Every morning when you rise say a mantra "I won't give up! I won't give up!"

Liz Hinds said...

When browsing for a publisher of monologues, i came across Lulu. I've thought about going that route before but wanted to keep trying the agent route at that time. I might re-visit though, just to see what it looks like in print.

I won't give up, I won't give up ...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Persevere, Liz. I admire you so for having a plan. Someone is bound to see sense and publish your lovely work soon.