Thursday, May 31, 2007

Miscellany

I would have bet money - 50p at least - that Simon would have been fired from last night's The Apprentice show. Now there are five candidates left and I don't think any of them are as 'drop dead shrewd' as Sir Alan requires. After hating Tre initially, I've come round to him. I think he's learned something from this process and could end up as the winner. Husband thinks it will be one of two girls.

* * * * * * * * * *

I've decided it's the scales that cause the problem in my dieting so I've hidden them away.

* * * * * * * * * *

Good news for a change! The people who run the cake-baking website that I wrote for liked my articles so they've asked me to do another site, Kids and Cooking. I shall have to put aside my deepset prejudice against the word 'kids', but I'm willing to do that for money.

* * * * * * * * * *

Which reminds me of my uncle. He and two lady friends were going to Germany, crossing by ferry. When he phoned to book one twin and one single room for the overnight crossing, he was told that it was £200 cheaper to book a deluxe family room for five. He asked the ladies if they would mind sharing with him; both of them separately replied, 'For £200, I'm anybody's.'

My uncle is 81 and the ladies are in their seventies.

They're going to France next.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Harvey thinks I am getting too serious in my posts. He says that I am more concerned about attracting readers than I am about being true to myself. Harvey is very perceptive. By the end of today this site should have received 10,000 visits. That is an awful lot. Not by some people's standards but it is for me when I say it aloud. Ten thousand. Gosh, and all over the world. I know some people come by regularly, and some people I consider friends, but lots come by Google's very strange referral system. Today's include 'lenny henry cat flaps'. Now why that would have led them to me is a - well, what do you know? A dog just came in and pooped in our garden! The little ratbag! - where was I? Ah, yes, Lenny Henry. Now I've lost my train of thought.

Oh, yes, referrals. Another one is to the Native Intelligence site. Let's look there. Good heavens, they've used one of my posts as an example of Nature (as in nature v nurture) but I'm not entirely sure I understand why. I obviously don't have a lot of native intelligence.

I wonder who will be the 10,000th visitor. The time it's taking me to write this post, what with invading dogs and getting distracted googling, he/she could have been and gone by now.

I am writing for myself, Harvey, but I'm also writing for readers because that's what writers want: to be read.
xxx

7 comments:

Clare said...

Surely the question needs to be asked - why would you look up Lenny Henry Cat Flaps in the first place?

Liz Hinds said...

That's true, Clare! The human mind is a mystery.

Elsie said...

What do you have against the word "kids?" I find it rather endearing. My dad, however, always says "Children. Kids are goats."

Your uncle sounds like an interesting man. Hope he has a great time with his lady friends.

Liz Hinds said...

I'm with your dad on this. It's just one of those words I don't like.

My uncle is certainly enjoying his life!

chux said...

i'll be interested in the 'kids' cooking site when its running!

Got some new scales that I have been assured dont lie. The only problem is I really wish they would!!!

Liz Hinds said...

Scales always lie, Chux. It's a fact o life. They were invented to make humans miserable.

jmb said...

Congratulations on your 10,000th visitor Liz. It boggles the mind, doesn't it? Even if they do come via some funny google searches I hope they stopped for a moment to read.
regards
jmb