Wednesday, May 16, 2007

At a different angle

The trouble with an ear infection, is that after you've given it 2 poufs, you have to walk around with your head on a tilt for at least 10 minutes.

I am not consistent: sometimes I write 2 and sometimes I write two. I should decide on my house style and stick with it. But then again, when it's written as the numeral (2), does it have more impact? If it's the number that's important perhaps that is what is needed; but if the number involved is one of the less important aspects - which it was in my first sentence - then maybe I should write the word (two). Perhaps that should be my house style.

It's only 10.30 and so many difficult decisions already. Must be an indication that a cup of tea is needed.

7 comments:

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hmmm, starts off with an ear infection and then discusses the relative merits of two (2). Definitely time for a cuppa.

Liz Hinds said...

I thought so.

Elsie said...

The rule we learned at school was that, in a sentence, numbers one through ten should be spelled. If making a list of items, numerals should be used. But who cares about the rules? You should do whatever you want, and have that cup of tea!

jomoore said...

Do you mean ten-thirty? :)

I was taught 'rules' for this at school. I can't completely remember them, except that you NEVER start a sentence with the numeral, always use the word. And, I think that numbers that are one word should be written as a word (e.g. ten/10, nineteen/19), but more than one word (e.g. twenty one/21) should be a numeral.

Of course, I was also taught never to begin a sentence with "And"...!

Liz Hinds said...

I thought about that too, Jo! I know rules are there to be broken but sometimes consistency is good. You and Elsie seem to agree so I'll go along with that. It makes sense not to try and write five thousand four hundred and sixty seven.

Until I forget.

DeeJay said...

so is that 10:30, 10:30 a.m., 10:30 GMT (BST)?
What would your house style be for times after midday?

I bet you wish you had never started this :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, definitely cup of tea time, Liz - too early for decisions!