Monday, November 06, 2006

A meandering brain wave

Younger Son dropped us off at the fireworks last night and was going to pick us up after. While we were still queuing to get in, he phoned and said he'd been offered an hour's work and could we walk home. Husband said yes, and after he'd put the phone down - or whatever the equivalent is for a mobile - we puzzled over what work YS could have that would take an hour on a Sunday night and he'd be paid £20.

Husband suggested getaway driver. I said I hoped he wasn't going to use Betty because a) she is easily identifiable; and b) she doesn't want to have a criminal record (I know because she told me).

Husband said a little white Beetle would be too slow to be a getaway car and, anyway, there's no petrol in her and YS is unlikely to spend his £20 on petrol.

YS went to a pub quiz after his work and we were in bed when he got home so I still don't know what his job was ...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I have been referring to first-born son as either Older Son or Elder Son. I am unsure as to the difference. I think it should be Elder as he is one of two but I will look it up now and check.

Apparently very few people would care. 'Of two indicated persons especially when related.' (Fowler) 'Mainly used by parents about their own children.' Also 'Such subtleties deserve to fade into misuse.' (Both Fieldhouse, to whom I have taken a dislike.)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The postman just brought me a big letter from my bank. I usually ignore boring post but thought this might be important. I should have stuck to my first judgement: they were simply offering me a new credit card. Instant recycling. Like most of our mail.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

And another thing.

Spellchecker keeps trying to make me change judgement to judgment. Either is acceptable according to Mr Chambers, so stop it, Spellchecker!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An hour's work for 20 pounds. Let us know when you find out. Judgement on my spellcheck just refers to judgment, but then again I have American English spellcheck. Both seem to be okay.

Liz Hinds said...

Shifting sound equipment apparently. That's what he told me anyway.

Clare said...

we used to have a Citroen 2CV and it was something of a family joke that no one would ever a) steal her or b) use her as a getaway car because there was such a knack to getting it to start...