Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I'm not a crier

I'm a hard-hearted cow as a rule but I cried last night.

A man, a rough sleeper, called Chris maybe, came into Zac's Place. His mother died last week and his brother three weeks before. But that wasn't his real tragedy.

In among his ramblings he said, 'I've lost my head see, I don't know where it's gone. I think it's gone down the Vetch playing football. And I've got something missing see.' He thumped his chest. 'There's something missing from in here.'

Sean described Zac's as having 'more open wounds than a leprosy clinic.' Six months ago Chris was on the other side of the counter, tending the sick; then his life fell apart.

His story is the tragedy of too much of the world - the tragedy of loss, of missing something.

I want to write something philosophical and wise but my pen is as empty as Chris's eyes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. Poor Chris. I can see why the waterworks started. It does affect you when you encounter someone who's had such a rash of misfortune.

Anonymous said...

Zac's Place exists for the Chrises of this world - or, at least, Swansea.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh Liz...boy, do I know what he's talking about. Sometimes life tests you beyond the imaginable...the test is to come back strong from the lessons learned....not always an easy thing to do. My heart....and my hope will be with him. And Liz...go ahead and cry...compassion is always a good thing.

Clare said...

Your posts after visiting Zac's place are always really inspirational. Today, remembering the story of Charlie Brown, I stopped to buy a Big Issue from the guy outside Euston. I just felt incredibly inadequate, cos I only had £2 to give him, which really isn't much of a donation. But at least I didn't walk on by. I guess...

Anonymous said...

I don't want to make litght of his situation, but there are many with less than good situations. We can wish them well, give a pound or two, but that's about all we can do. We have to keep marching on, or else all will be loss.

Liz Hinds said...

But, Clare, more importantly than charity, you helped give him self-esteem.

It's easy to feel helpless but it's like the little boy who asked his granddad why he bothered throwing one starfish back in the sea when there were hundreds of them washed up. His granddad said, 'Becaue it's worth it for that one starfish.'

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written post, Liz. I could hear the guy talking. And it did bring a tear. "Something missing in here see" - I have on occasion felt that way. It's a tough place to be. Zac's Place must be an incredible place.

Anonymous said...

So many of us have "Something missing in here, see" but you my lovely lady with tears in her eyes have not, you have a heart of compassion, and sometimes it is better not to say 'How can I help?', but to hold out your hand and say 'I am here'

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you all for reading about Chris.