Saturday, November 25, 2006

80 minutes to change a record

My stomach has had a little knot in it for most of the day.

It's a mixture of hope and dread.

In less than half hour the game between Wales and the All Blacks kicks off. For a long time Wales hasn't had a team as good as the one fielded tonight. But this match will be the test of how far we've come or how far we have to go.

Joe Rococoko, one of the try-scorers in the All Blacks record win over England the other week, isn't even on the substitutes bench tonight, such is the strength of the New Zealand team. They are being widely acclaimed as the next (2007) World Cup winners

It's been 55 years since Wales beat the All Blacks. One NZ journalists referred to Wales as the 'village idiots of world rugby'. I hope that newspaper cutting is pinned up on the Welsh changing -room wall.

To captain Stephen and the team: we're all behind you. Come on, Wales!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the previous post and I guess I have to assume that they lost. You didn't give a score.

Liz Hinds said...

They lost. I'd rather not think about the score ...