Monday, May 22, 2006

It would have been my mother's birthday today

A few years ago I wrote a poem. I am not a poet and it's not a good poem: my writing tutor said, 'Well, it means something to you, dear.' (She didn't say 'dear', but as good as.) But as today is 22nd May, and this is my blog where there is no judgement, except mine, I'm including here.


Twenty-second of May, 2001
My mother would have been eighty today.
I only realise this sitting in college listening to a reading.
The poet, a tiny American professor, is speaking
of her mother’s seventieth birthday.
I don’t recall the poem.

Earlier the same day my son calls.
His sister has told him to, he says.
She’s worried because I’m sad.

Tangled threads, twisted together.
Meaning and reason
hidden in a knot.

After the bubble burst, and the thick red liquid
flooded the rivers of your mind,
drowning your memories,
you said to me, ‘You’re not Peter, are you?
you look like Peter.’
You forgot my name.
And now I have forgotten you.

Did you prefer tea or coffee? Red wine or white?
What was your favourite colour? Or flower?
Did you still dream of could-have-beens or
glimpse happiness from the upstairs windows of buses?

You loved to garden, I remember that,
to nurture and to tend. To party.
Eighty is worth a party. Tonight
we would have celebrated and I’d have
watched you gathering my children around you,
your eyes full of pride and love.
No hint now of past illusions.

If I choose to tread thorny paths,
or return to unlit rooms
will I find out who you were or why I am?
But for now I’ll do as the professor says.
‘Do something with it,’ she says, ‘you must.’

4 comments:

Anna said...

She would have been at Uncle John's party, too, amusing everyone and reminiscing about climbing lamp-posts and drinking too much in public. No doubt. Maybe you should start drinking and partying more in her honour?

Shirley said...

Very poignant for me.

Anonymous said...

I still have my Mum and know the day will surely come...and would love to think I could write half as movingly about my memories of her. Thanks for sharing this Liz.

Emmy Ellis said...

Oh dear. This made me cry.

:o(