Thursday, April 27, 2006

I'm just a girl who can't say no

They get hold of your name from somewhere and phone you.
‘Would you be willing to help (fill in appropriate cause – guide dogs, brain-damaged babies) by ……?’
No.
‘Yes, certainly.’
And it’s forever then. Every year, or more often, you get the letter/phone call, accompanied by appealing pictures.
And you end up sending a cheque.

But this year I’m being cunning: along with my donation I’m enclosing a letter asking them to remove me from their list. That way I don’t have to speak to anyone. Unless they phone me to say thank you for your support and ‘may we ask why you’ve decided to stop helping brain-damaged babies?’

I don’t mind helping guide dogs or brain-damaged babies but there are other causes I choose to support. But oh yes they are good causes … well, yes, okay, I’ll carry on supporting you. Yes, please do send me five extra books of raffle tickets.

See, I don’t even need them to phone me; I can persuade myself.

No comments: