Thursday, January 05, 2006

What to do when you're on the loo

That rhymes!

Other people take a book to read; I take a chisel. Actually I don't need a chisel; it's quite easy to pull the tiles off the wall. Just a gentle tug and whoops, there it goes.

Last night I shared a candle-lit purple bath with a tipsy duck in a turban. You would think they had made enough rubber ducks to be able to make one that floated the right way up but no matter what I did, this little one preferred to go face down. Maybe it was the turban.

I am currently reading The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-something. It's translated from the Spanish and involves an art restorer who finds a hidden inscription on an old painting that involves murder and leads to modern-day murder. It is incredibly detailed and being totally ignorant of all things historic I don't know how much is true. I think, on the whole, that it is imaginary but it is very convincing. Late last year I read The Shadow of the Wind, another novel set in Spain but about a writer. That was a very good book too. A bit of literary reading in between my usual trash is good.

1 comment:

Anna said...

That sounds interesting, and can I borrow The Shadow of the Wind? I wonder what everyone else is reading.

I am reading 'Precious Bane' by Mary someone, set in the 17th century or thereabouts. It is about a woman with a cleft lip and a sweet nature, who falls in love. But because of her cursed lip people associate her with witchcraft and she can't be accepted into society. It is very good and the writing is pretty. It's set in a small village and the next village along is called Silverton!! I don't know if it's our village but it could be. They all live off the land apart from wealthy councillors and the vicar.

I am also reading 'Things a Woman should Know about Style' and learning to wear linen trousers and headscarfs.

Next I am planning to read Daniel Deronda, which Steve's uncle received by mistake from a book company and didn't want. Hurrah!

Anyone else?