Monday, January 30, 2006

Don't pribble with me

The burglar alarm was going when I got home from work. If I'd thought about it, I'd have thought that this isn't the sort of time you want a husband to be in Bournemouth, but I didn't think about it. I ran in, switched off the alarm and shouted, 'Are there any burglars here?' There was no reply so I figured it was all right. I was in too much of a hurry to be very concerned.

So joy of joys, I've enrolled with Slimming World again. The Kelloggs Kick Start did kick start me but I still have a target to lose 13 lbs. Which is an awful lot. I shall be grumpy and miserable for the next few weeks/months/years. A diet is for life not for something else.

It was very cold today. The sexy window cleaner came in the shop and said it was -6 in Gowerton. He didn't want to get out of his nice warm van. I told him he should count himself lucky: it's normally warmer outside of Betty than it is inside her. And I haven't worked out where the windscreen washer is yet (assuming she has one) so driving in the dark is a bit hit and miss. So far it's been all miss but I really need to clean the windscreen.

Our regular eccentric also paid a visit to the shop. She always wears a Mexican sombrero and has usually just had teeth or nails removed. She told me I was nice not like 'the snooty bugger in the shop up the road'. She showed me the card she'd had from Catherine Zeta Jones for her 64th birthday.

We have a little man - shorter than me - coming on Wednesday to take out our bathroom. It's a shame we haven't ordered a new one yet. This could take some time. We went to look again on Saturday but there were so many decisions to make, like which bath, what sort of plug, what taps, we gave up and went and had a cup of tea in Sainsburys instead. We can't keep putting it off. Prevarication ... procrastination? Now I can't remember what either mean. I shall blame it on Thrive over-tiring my body and my brain, but first I shall look them both up.
To prevaricate: to avoid stating the truth.
To procrastinate: to defer action. Of course. Procrastination is the thief of time.

Pribble is a modification of prabble, which is a spelling representing the Welsh pronunciation of brabble, which is to babble or clamour, brawl or wrangle.
I am very easily distracted but aren't you glad? Next time you are in a quiz and the question-master says, what does pribble mean, you will know the answer. Thanks to me.

2 comments:

MaryB said...

I've done the same thing, entering the house as the alarm is going off. I usually yell, "If you're not supposed to be here, you'd better get out! It's been a long day and you don't want to tangle with me!"

And thanks for increasing my vocabulary with "pribble." Learn something new every day!

Jon said...

It was freezing today! It felt like someone punched me in the face when the cold hit me as i left the house this morning. So cold I nearly pulled a sicky