Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Socks

How is it possible, I wonder, to have a carrier-bag full of odd socks? No, more than that: a carrier-bag full of odd black socks. There should be a European standard controlling the manufacture of black socks. And where do the missing ones go? To a secret sock rendezvous. Is it like the Great Escape? Is there a Steve McQueen sock (sports with an M logo) or a Donald Pleasance sock (greyer than the rest)?

Why does smoked fish never taste as good as it did when my granny cooked it for me when I was a little girl?

I am just trying to put off writing more cards now, can you tell? I thought there didn't seem to be as many on my list as last year and I found out why. No, not because last year it was full of cards to Ted and Doris, but because I had just left off lots people as I'm discovering on a daily basis as cards arrive.

'We wish you a wombling merry Christmas.'

No comments: