Monday, November 14, 2005

I met a tramp today.

I was walking over the tip, at the furthest point, when he appeared from another path. I wnder if he is living out there; I recall seeing an encampment of sorts in the woods. I am ashamed to say that it made me anxious. I said good morning but my smile lacked warmth.

I suppose a woman alone (yes, I know you were, Harvey, but somehow that doesn't fill me with the confidence I would once have had) in a deserted area shouldn't be too friendly with strange men but all the same, I felt guilty. I had been meditating on the Lord's prayer and my actions seemed to be in contrast to what I was considering.

Strangely enough though, when I repeated the prayer, I realised it doesn't directly say anything about others. Apart from forgiving them. Although I suppose Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, woud encompass our treatment of others.

But what could I have done for him? He is one of the regular faces of Swansea. I have often seen him just walking. I think he is one for whom homelessness is less of an evil. I suspect he prefers it his way. Or maybe that is just what I tell myself to relieve myself of duty/guilt. It was very cold last night; the postman said there was a frost at 4.30 am. The sky is clear tonight; it will be cold again.

No comments: