Friday, January 24, 2020

What says Swansea to you?

Stuck behind a bus at traffic lights I studied the advert on the back. It was a line drawing that I assumed was meant to give a feel of Swansea. Having talked in an earlier post about the glorious Welsh coast I was a little confused by this advert. (I didn't think of getting my phone out to take a pic.)

There were drawings of the Swansea Jack memorial* and a love spoon - so far so good. There was an open umbrella - well, yes, I suppose that's a big part of Welsh life. But then there was a pylon and a hookah. Okay, they lost me there.

Then again Swansea is allegedly the drug capital of Wales.

* Swansea Jack, a flat-coated black retriever, who saved twenty-seven people (and two dogs) who had fallen in the water at Swansea docks.

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love stories of heroic dogs. Well, of any heroic animal, actually.

Liz Hinds said...

Swansea Jack was a real hero but it's suspected he was poisoned. Evil people.

Chuck Pergiel said...

I had not heard of a 'Love Spoon' before. Wikipedia has an article about Swansea Jack.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Definitely lost at a Hookah , isn't that an Smoking pipe from Turkey ? What has that do with Swansea? Love Spoon I agree. !!

Marie Smith said...

Dogs are such wonderful creatures. It’s not surprising that dogs such as Swansea Jack do such incredible rescues.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I must admit were I to need a hookah urgently, Swansea wouldn't be the first place to spring to mind.

Chalky said...

That memorial is actually Jack's grave! And it was probably rat poison. All gleaned from Carl Gough's wonderful telling of the Swansea Jack story - go and see it if you can! He did all the homework!

Leslie: said...

Thanks for taking me to see Swansea Jack and telling me the story.