Thursday, December 05, 2019

Advent Book Calendar

Still on the Christmas theme, I was struggling to think what to put in the Advent calendar I'd bought for Younger Son and family. It's one you fill in the pockets each year. And it was second-hand as all things given to them are meant to be. 

They also don't like unnecessary plastic, which makes it jolly difficult. And preferably not chocolate for children. So I racked my brains and came up with the idea of an Advent Book Calendar.
I trawled every charity shop and bought a mixture of ordinary and Christmas books for young children. Some Santa, some nativity, some noisy, some stickers. Then I wrapped them in a mix of old envelopes, packing paper (thanks Amazon), pizza boxes, and a few recycled gift bags - as I've said before, I have never bought a gift bag but I have a shelf full of them.

Hey presto, an Advent Book Calendar from which GrandSon4 picks one at random each day.
But I still haven't worked out a good way to combine the original calendar I wanted to fill with the new box!

8 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Lucky boy! I would have loved this as a child.

Marie Smith said...

You did a great job and it took though and effort. What a great gift!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a great and inventive idea! I'm sure he'll love it!

Liz Hinds said...

He does love it! Worth the effort.

PipeTobacco said...

Very nice take on the advent calendar theme! May I ask why NO chocolate? I can understand a careful limit.... but none.... is he allergic, or does not like it, or is there another reason? Just curious.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

When I said “he”.... I was unclear, I apologize.... I was wondering if perhaps your son may want to have the kids avoid it because of the excess sugar, perhaps?

Liz Hinds said...

They're trying to keep the children chocolate-free as long as possible, PipeTobacco, although GrandSon4 isn't that keen on it anyway. They don't want to encourage a love of sweet things.

PipeTobacco said...

Ah, ok... I can understand that effort. It is a challenge though, in the modern world with it so available. :)