Monday, February 18, 2019

My nose today is horrendous

That's the problem with having a husband with a poor sense of smell. I can say, 'What's that weird smell?' and he will say, 'I can't smell anything.'

I don't know if I'm going crazy.

My nose has been much better of late, hardly picking up any unusual scents, but the last two days I've been twitching again. Unpleasant smells.

In every other way I'm fine. I wonder if it's to do with getting older or hormones. As I said before perhaps my sense of smell is getting more acute as my eyesight/hearing gets worse. Husband pointed out to me today that the optician does free hearing tests. I said there's no point me having a test as I've no intention of wearing a hearing aid.

My hearing's not that bad anyway. Yo should hear how loud he has the television on when I'm not there.

9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope that sometimes your nose picks up pleasant smells like roses or lavender or baking bread. At least that would be tolerable!

wherethejourneytakesme said...

I had a form of radiation treatment for my Thyroid cancer - it has left me with a really heightened sense of taste and smell so now I can even tell if water has ben boiled in a plastic or metal kettle - some smells really make my stomach turn especially glass tables in cafes - they smell like egg white to me!!

nick said...

Same here. I have a very poor sense of smell while Jenny's is very sharp. She often complains of an unpleasant smell and I can't smell it, so I wonder whether the smell is really there or if maybe she's imagining it.

That's an interesting comment from wherethejourneytakesme, that radiation treatment has given her a heightened sense of taste and smell. Extraordinary!

Ole Phat Stu said...

I must have been born upside down,
my nose runs and my feet smell ;-)

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

One's sense of smell is supposed to fade with age, isn't it.
What I can't work out is why, even if I've got a suffocating cold, can chopping onions still make me cry?

Liz Hinds said...

Sometimes it does, Debra, but the strong ones tend to be more chemical-like.

That's amazing, wherethejourneytakesme. I understand some people can smell colours. Or was that in a book I read?

Mine's always been better than Husband's but not as strong as this, Nick.

The old ones are the best, Stu.

I wonder if it's a different nerve ending that picks up irritation as opposed to smell, Sonata.

Anonymous said...

SmitoniusAndSonata--I believe it glands in the corner of one's eye that are irritated by compounds released by the cut onion. I don't think the taste buds are involved.
Cop Car
NOT a medical professional

Anonymous said...

Well, that was confusing. My mind wandered into thoughts of the connection between taste and smell before I wrote the comment. At any rate, the point was that I don't think tears from chopping onions are closely related to olfactory receptors. Sorry for the confusion factor!
Cop Car
STILL NOT a medical professional (as if you couldn't guess)

Liz Hinds said...

We understood you, CopCar!