Sunday, December 23, 2018

'Twas the day before Christmas (Eve)

When I was a little girl, at Christmas, my mother would save the wrapping paper to use the next year, and we made tags out of old Christmas cards. In recent years I've gone to the other extreme trying to keep up with my sisters-in-law who hand out the most exquisitely wrapped gifts.

This year, as wrapping paper can't be recycled, I'm going back to basics.

I'm using up left-over (new) paper from last year and the rest of the presents I'm wrapping in brown or recycled paper. And I've even added my own decorations.
alternative wrapping paper
Practising potato prints with GrandSon4 came in useful!

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I still make tags out of old Christmas cards, but it's getting harder because fewer people send paper Christmas cards now. I'm as guilty of this this as anyone -- I send e-cards too.

Jacqui said...

Hi Liz, good for you in re-using wrapping paper. I love to recycle things, and have also made tags from old Christmas cards in the past. There's something satisfying about getting full use out of things I've used brown wrapping paper and string this year for my presents and have stencilled some white lace designs on them, and I'm putting them into last year's recycled gift bags. Have a happy Christmas¬

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the simplicity of it! and the fact you are using a time of over-the-top-everything
to teach children that it's the HEART you put into it... not expensive paper and ribbons!
your packages are charming! and they're FUN and happy! kudos dearest bean! xoxo

wherethejourneytakesme said...

Home made is always best in my eyes and if it is recycled even better.

Liz Hinds said...

this year I shall definitely save my cards and chop them up, Debra.

White lace stencils, that's a good idea, Jacqui. Must remember that.

Thank you, Tammy and wherethejourneytakesme.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I have used brown wrapping paper for a few years now and decorate it .. Not for everyone as some don't appreciate it So yes I go the opposite. Used to take us ages to open our presents as we weren't allowed to rip it off And we (my brother and I and others) Told mum etc.. Just rip it You are not saving it..