Thursday, September 27, 2018

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness

There is an unusually thick mist coming off the sea in the bay this morning. As I drove towards it I realised two things:
1) I didn't have my long glasses;
2) I don't know where my fog lights are.

Fortunately I only stayed on the misty road for about 200 metres before I turned off up the hill and all was sunny and bright again.

So we're taking George for a nice walk today. The trouble with Wales is that it's hilly. That isn't usually a problem but becomes one when you have a dog who can't do hills any more. All our favourite beaches involve a long walk down and up a cliff path and the easy accessible ones don't allow dogs until October. We're counting down the days.

Speaking of dogs, we took George for his now weekly appointment at the vet's yesterday. The ulcer on his eye is not healing as it should. The eye apparently shows signs of trying to but so far it's not succeeding. We have to take him back again next Monday when they will consider:
a) giving him his own plasma;
b) putting a contact lens in.

In the meantime we continue with drops seven times a day, each time accompanied by a treat. This had better end soon else he will turn into a little podge.


Meanwhile Younger Son has now bottled all his honey and has 68 jars.

And remember this man invited me to drive his train?

One more thing. I was listening to the radio in the car and caught a snippet of a drama about Lancelot and, as it turned out, how he lost his virginity and thus the power to perform miracles, such as freeing an eighteen-year-old virgin who had been boiled in water for five years and from which she emerged naked and unscathed.

She, not unnaturally, fell in love with her handsome rescuer and tricked him into sleeping with her by pretending to be Queen Guinevere for whom Lance - 'don't call me that!' - had a thing. He was furious when he found out and blamed her for his loss of power. Which seems jolly unfair as he was happy to lose his power when he thought it was the Queen he was bonking. Men!


No comments: