Friday, September 29, 2017

It's not the devil's fault

Don't you just hate it when you wake in the middle of the night and your brain starts thinking? And keeps on thinking in spite of your repeated suggestions that it shuts itself up now. And then it starts composing a blog post, which begins, 'Don't you just hate it when ...'

Five o'clock this morning I was thinking about Blosum. That's him in the photo on the left when God Squad did a 'nude' calendar. (Those WI women have a lot to answer for.)

When people used to blame the devil for their shortcomings, Blosum was quick to point out it's just an excuse, that the devil only tempts; we still have to make a choice.

I have a number of problems with the Genesis/garden of Eden parts of the bible. I believe they are just stories, a simple explanation of a truth that was then and still is hard to grasp. So I don't - I'm not sure if I should admit this aloud - believe that Adam and Eve as a man and woman existed.

But I do believe that sin entered the world because mankind was self-centred so can we stick with the story for a moment so I can make my point? While the snake tempts Eve he doesn't - he can't - make her eat the apple. That is her decision.

I know I still try to off-load the blame when I do something wrong but in my heart I have to admit it's my fault, my bad decision. I may have been tempted but I didn't have to give way. I could have said no.

So that's why I'm saying it's not the devil's fault. When we screw up it's down to us, no-one else.

P.S. Blosum was the only member of a God Squad chapter to strip off completely for the calendar.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Good post! "The devil made me do it!" Is an excuse too many say is the reason they have made some of the most ridiculous decisions in their lives. Sigh ...

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'm not sure it's comforting to think that I''m so daft as to be easily led astray .