Sunday, October 14, 2012

From the sublime to the cor blimey

I ask you: is this a meal for a grown woman?
Quite often of a weekend M&S does a Meal for 2 Deal. You get a main course, a side dish, a dessert and a bottle of wine for £10. It's a good deal and a simple dinner for a Saturday so we've done it a couple of times. 

Yesterday I chose chicken breast stuffed with ricotta and spinach with carrot and swede crush. But seriously? It probably should have been enough but it looked pathetic. It was fine when I'd filled the plate with extra broccoli though. And we did have blackberry and apple tart (with custard) for dessert so I shouldn't grumble. But it would be better if they allowed you to have 2 side dishes instead of a dessert. But then I'd feel obliged to do that while now I just HAVE to have a dessert. (Yes, I could have chosen the fruit salad but, well, I didn't.)

It all tasted nice too.

And a small meal would have done me good after celebrating Ric's 60th birthday on Friday evening at Peachy Keen's. I think it's a national chain so maybe you're familiar with it but it's an eat-as-much-as-you-want buffet with a huge variety of foods including Indian, Chinese, British, Italian and Thai. There are dishes you can help yourself from or you can choose what you want and the chefs cook it in front of you. What made it good for me was that I could try loads and loads of dishes, just a little bit of each, and not have to choose one thing, then see what someone else had and wish I'd chosen that. 
But, of course, the temptation is to pick and pick and pick ... 

And, there's a chocolate fountain and an ice cream machine. What can I say? You have to try these things.

2 comments:

Leslie: said...

I agree it looks a bit "blah" but I'm sure it tasted fine. Yes, extra "greens" would make the plate look much better. I never go to those "eat all you want" places anymore...too much temptation! lol

Liz Hinds said...

It did taste good, and was adequate. i think I just like to eat too much!