Monday, April 23, 2012

How t boil an egg

I haven't done any proper cooking for ages. A week last Friday Husband made us his cottage pie and that lasted 3 days. He also cooked us a salmon dinner and then took me out for a meal - oh I haven't told you: I sent my fish back! More of that in a minute. Then we stayed with Elder Son and Daughter-in-law and were well-fed before returning to an omelette on Saturday and beans on toast yesterday. And tonight's it's salad and smoked mackerel after circuit training.


But all that will end with a bang tomorrow when I make a birthday cake and bolognese for 30. But then we're off to Devon again; I shall be forgetting how to cook.


So, the fish. It was meant to be simple beer-battered fish and it looked fine but when I brought a forkful to my mouth it smelled slightly of ammonia. It tasted okay and I ate a few mouthfuls but was put off by the smell each time. Even Husband who is olfactorily-challenged could smell it. So we sent it back and I had beef casserole instead. And the waitress took it away before I'd eaten many of the chips.


I can remember two other occasions when I've sent food back and it was fish each time. Either my nose is too sensitive or the fishermen are out to get me.

2 comments:

Furtheron said...

I remember Mrs F sending back fish in a place in Brighton as it was stone cold inside... the one they brought her back had been heated up with a blowlamp I think given from the other side of the table I sense the heat coming off of it!

Liz Hinds said...

And you have to be careful with fish. I hope she sent it back again!