Friday, May 06, 2011

Words written today

427.

I am approaching the end of my novel and I realise I haven't worked out what is going to happen. I mean I know what is going to happen next but what will the outcome be. No, I suppose I do know that but how to do it without it being cheesy and too neat is what I mean really.

It can't be very happy given the circumstances but there has to be hope.

I expect it will come. I've found that, as I've worked more regularly on my novel, it's flowed much more fluidly and taken turns in unexpected directions. I wonder if there will be an obvious difference between the later chapters and the earlier ones, which were written over a longer period of time and in phases.

I'm reading A Prayer for Owen Meany at the moment. Now that's a well-written book. It puts my effort to shame. But is also encouraging me to be more - I can't think of the phrase - hop-aboutish, and nonconformist. Trouble is, I'm not sure if that's really my voice.

I've just had this good idea: I'll stop analysing on my blog and concentrate on writing the novel!


2 comments:

CherryPie said...

It will work out as you wanted in the end :-)

Ole Phat Stu said...

Finish? with a cliff-hanger.
That way peeps will have to buy your second book too ;-)