Thursday, August 13, 2020

Being appreciated

Referring back to a previous post: the coastguard hut at the end of Rhossili cliffs was hit twice by lightning during the storm we got caught in on Monday.

So I was wise to crouch as I walked.

Yesterday was probably the hottest day we've had in Swansea this year - it certainly felt like it - and last night the promised storm finally arrived. Noisy but did nothing to reduce the heat in the bedroom. We had to sleep with a fan on and that is a rare thing in this country.

Today it's grey but still very warm.

* * * * * *

I made cake to take to Zac's for their lunchtime meal service. I would have made two but I ran out of eggs - another thing that never happens - it must have been one of those days. 

When I dropped it off there were already people queuing and one of the women recognised me. She yelled out, 'Aw, lasagne! She makes wonderful lasagne.'

I felt bad to admit it was only cake today but the warm feeling of appreciation in the unlikeliest of places remains.

* * * * * *

Yesterday I had baked beans on lettuce for lunch. Please tell my husband that's perfectly normal behaviour.

10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I love beans with salad, it’s delicious.

It’s really hot here too. The potatoes are suffering. This will impact yields this year for sure.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Beans on lettuce? Protein and low-carb. Good for dieting, amirite?

PipeTobacco said...

It is always so fun and pleasant to receive an unexpected compliment. I occasionally get them for my cooking and baking too. It makes me feel a jolt of happiness.

Interestingly for me (prior to Covid-19), at the U I had been at least once or twice a week been getting interestingly effusive comments from students and faculty I had not seen in a while about my beard and mustache. Although I have worn both continuously for well over three decades now, I had always kept them relatively short and tidy (probably about 1-2 cm). About two years ago, I decided to let it grow more full (I still trim, but now stay about the 5-8 cm length).... but that relatively modest change has elicited so many positive comments that it surprises me no end and I admit I like the attention.

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

I'm glad you see the value, Marie and Debra.

I think we all knew a bit of affirmation sometimes, PipeTobacco.

Ole Phat Stu said...

A fan would be too loud for us. And the ground floor & upstairs are too hot (35°).
We're sleeping in the cellar these nights.

nick said...

Here in NI we keep getting warnings of thunderstorms and torrential rain but haven't had any as yet. In fact I can't remember the last time we had a thunderstorm.

Liz Hinds said...

We had the fan just outside the bedroom door, Stu, and I'm a bit deaf!

Really, Nick? we seem to have had more over the last months than we've done for a long time.

LL Cool Joe said...

We could do with fans, I have a small one that plugs into my computer and that helps a bit. It's at times like this I wish our house had a/c. We have it in our house in Arizona and it makes the heat outside so much more bearable!

PipeTobacco said...

Hmm. Hope all is well.... you do not often have such a delay between posts.

PipeTobacco

Thomas Aldora said...

Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.

https://winnermfg.com/

https://irepairpk.com/

https://dubaipainterservices.com/

https://mediadimensions.net/