Thursday, December 12, 2019

Send the rich away!

Dear me, it's been a whole week since last i blogged. Forgive me, I've been busy. As I'm sure we all are at this time of year. So where to begin?

Today is grey and gloomy and not just because it's pouring down with rain. It's election day here in the UK and the Tories are forecast to get back in. 

When Trump was elected we laughed and said, 'What has happened to America?' Today we have our own lying, adulterous creep and it's not so funny. But I have cast my vote for the NHS and a slightly less deceptive party (Labour), and now all I can try to do is what my new Christmas mug suggests.
You would think that having reached a grand old age I would know better than to volunteer for things but that doesn't seem to be the case. On Monday I messaged the other Zac's study leaders and said, 'Who's leading tomorrow?' If I'd left it there  ... but as it was I added, 'I could do it if necessary,' thinking someone would reply saying they'd already offered to do it. 

The messages came pinging back: that would be great, thanks, Liz, it would really help me etc. Phooey. 

We're looking at advent and the suggested topic was the foretelling of John the Baptist, and the themes of waiting and preparing. I decided I didn't want to do that so instead looked at Mary and her hymn of praise, known as the Magnificat. Wow! I'm glad I did. I'd never looked at it closely before and hadn't realised how radical and revolutionary it is. It foretells the fall of the rich, the arrogant and mighty, and the uplifting of the poor and hungry.

It's considered so powerful it has been banned in the past by governments facing uprisings: in Guatemala and Argentina, and the British rulers in India. I found this drawing of Mary by an artist called Ben Wildflower.
What else? On Saturday evening I'd booked for us to go and see Luminate, a lit trail in Margam Park. It promised to be wonderful. Sadly it was a bit of a let-down.

Our booking was at what was probably peak time - to fit in with children's bedtimes - but the organisers could have taken that into account when calculating the numbers they'd allow in during the set times. As it was we had to queue for ages to cross over the troll bridge (no actual troll ...) and the queue was too long and the children too restless to wait to play the jungle bells that lit up the side of the ruin. One long part of the trail was closed - not the fault of the organisers but a medical emergency - and the keyboard that should have lit up the greenhouse wasn't working: damp they said. Hm, Wales in winter. You'd think they might have prepared for wet weather.)

The final display with fairies and dragons on the side of the abbey was rather magnificent but by then I think the children had had enough.

I think it was the first time for the event to be run so hopefully they learned some lessons, because it was quite expensive for all of us.

My photos were even more rubbish than usual as I was being tugged along by GrandDaughter2.
 The gatekeeper welcomed us to the park and warned us to beware of trolls.
 The wishing tree was rather lovely.
No trolls under the bridge. 
The rainbow Orangery.

Fortunately our grandchildren aren't here every day so I don't have to think of too many activities for the Elf.
There's been a whole lot more going on but I can't think what. Shopping of course. I had to come home yesterday afternoon because I realised that I was buying things willy-nilly, not really knowing what I was buying or for whom. Always dangerous, getting pre-occupied with the 'buy buy buy' mantra.

Now - oh wait - I have to go out shopping ... only to get my washing liquid bottles refilled at the zero-waste shop.

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

What a great idea, a zero waste shop.

You did well to leave shopping when you did. It is so easy to buy too much during the Christmas season.

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

The Magnificat is indeed very wonderful!!!

PipeTobacco

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good luck in today's election! There was an item on the news last night about Boris Johnson's goofy political stunts and him hiding in the fridge to avoid reporters.

Liz Hinds said...

I only have three presents too many, Marie, and I can use those for later birthdays ... if I remember I have them.

So glad I found out, PipeTobacco.

Those are just the funny bits about him, Debra. The reality is much more scary.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Like the idea of controlled Christmas shopping. I must try it when I get round to buying some presents this time next week.
( Don't look like that … there's plenty of time... )

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Can't stay up to watch results … too depressing. Grandchildren all deserve better than this.