Monday, September 23, 2019

A case of ethics

I am curious.

Debra, whose blog I love and who is a regular visitor and commenter here, gets loads of comments (in the 50s) on her posts. I am lucky if I get one or two besides Debra's.

I know this blog gets plenty of visitors but why do so few comment? It's a mystery. Perhaps I need to say something controversial ... or not.

* * * * * * 
I am, as I mentioned, preparing to lead bible study tomorrow at Zac's. the topic is the eighth commandment: do not steal. The book we are working from - very very loosely - is okay but terribly middle-class in its discussions and ideas. 

It suggests discussing slavery, unfair wages, bad conditions for workers in factories producing cheap clothes. It suggests not frequenting these shops. It also recommends committing to buying from local farmers/shopkeepers. And not buying so many things, and sorting out our wardrobes and giving clothes away.

Now this is all well and good if you can afford it. But many of our regulars are unemployed, living on benefits, just out of prison, on the street. Some rely on Zac's, and places like us, for food and clothes. I'm not sure I can raise this. 

Or am I being patronising in assuming people can't or won't want to afford ethics?

I thought stealing would be quite a straightforward topic but it's turning into something far more challenging in many ways.


4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I just learned a new term the other day -- "survival crime." When you're poor or down and out, ethics can be a lot different than when you're well off and well fed. The classic example is Jean Valjean stealing that loaf of bread and going to prison for 20 years.

As for blog comments, here's what I've learned. Only a small percentage of people who view a post will actually take the time to leave a comment -- maybe 25 to 30% on a good day. Plus the blogosphere is a very "quid pro quo" kind of place. I read a lot (and I mean A LOT) of blogs on an ongoing basis and always leave a comment for the blogger. Often (but not always) those bloggers will "return the favour" by reading and commenting on my blog. I like getting comments on my blog so I spend a lot of time in the blogosphere making my own rounds.

I don't know if controversary helps to generate comments. All I post is stolen cartoons, memes and cat videos. Nothing too controversial there, LOL!

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

I too wonder about comments for my own blog.

Ethics.... I try to do what I believe is proper and kind. I do not really think I can judge for others except when it may be an action involving me though in regards to what others may do in a general sense. I always try to the best of my abilities to be ethically kind.

PipeTobacco

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'm not sure that generosity or charity does depend on how comfortably off the donor is.
No one ever left my grandmother's house without a meal "and a warm by the fire" even during the Depression when things were very tough, but she would have been the first to point out that at least they had a house and a fire.
Maybe what's needed is sympathy?

Liz Hinds said...

No, I agree, Sonata, that the most generous are often those who don't have much. But can I suggest that they should shop elsewhere when it's all they can afford?

Yes, PipeTobacco, we must each be concerned for what we do as individuals not what others do - or we think they should do.

I'm going to ask that question about stealing out of necessity, Debra. And I've noticed you do visit and comment on many many blogs! I am impressed. That's what I need to do too. (Instead of playing solitaire ...)