Wednesday, August 14, 2019

When Redcoat taught me a lesson

2006
There's a new face in Zac's (new to me anyway). He's of slight build, wearing a red coat, and with alcohol on his breath. He sits at a table and his eyes are focused somewhere way beyond the confines of the room. I guess that he has stumbled across the place and is grateful for somewhere warm indoors to spend an evening; I think he will be asleep before long.

We're continuing in the run-up to Christmas with a look at Mary. 

Redcoat isn't asleep but is following intently. He has always felt that Joseph is undervalued. Several times he interrupts and in a rambling, drawn-out fashion - the pauses typical, I think, of a drunk getting his thoughts together - makes this point. Given the chance, I would exchange knowing smiles with someone. If I had been in charge I would have been tempted to step in, in one of the pauses, and carry on with what I was saying, hoping he would get the message, but Sean waits patiently until he is sure he has finished. Others speak up and acknowledge the truth of what he is saying, giving him respect. Then Sean asks me to read the monologue I had written.

At the end of the bible study the first person to come and speak to me is Redcoat. 'That was incredible,' he says. I am humbled.

2009
There was a visitor in Zac's last night, a man who was very different in appearance from another time. Redcoat has been in rehab in Edinburgh for the last 16 months and now he's clean, he's been given some basic accommodation in a church where he does some work, and he's about to start at bible college. He shared a little with us last night about how things have come about and how he hit the very bottom before he was ready to surrender. He admitted honestly that each day is still a struggle but that his life has been turned around. 

2014 
Redcoat is around Zac's for a while, celebrating five years of being drug-free. He is preparing to attend university to do social studies.

Last night
We heard that Redcoat had died. No further details so far.

He made an impact on me and, judging by his Facebook page, on many of the students he befriended. He was cheeky and funny, clever and kind.

Too many people lost. The tragedy of Zac's.

4 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Such a waste but life can be too hard for some people, no matter how hard they try.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Maybe death is preferable to doing a university course in social studies :evil grin: ?

PipeTobacco said...

Oh.... hard news to be given for sure. I hope you are able to learn more about what happened to help with your feelings of loss. Hopefully Redcoat had been able to continue to grow in his appreciation of social studies, and from what you said you saw on Facebook, it sounds like he may have done exactly that. Even though none of knows the timing of our passing, hopefully what you will learn is that his was tranquil and not harsh.

Sorry for your loss.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

My one sentence should have had “us” inserted: ...none of “us” knows....

Sorry for the typographical error.

PipeTobacco