Friday, August 30, 2019

Raising my blood pressure

I had to call into the doctor's today to pick up a prescription for Husband and as I was there I thought - seeing as Husband had recently had a heart attack and it might be catching - I'd check my blood pressure using the DIY machine they have in the corridor.

blood pressure machine
First task is to adjust the seat height so my heart is on the same level as the sleeve. I pull on the lever at the side of the chair and go shooting backwards.

I look and see there's another lever so try again. This is the right one: it goes up and down, or rather it goes up. And up. Soon I am peering down unable to even put my arm in the sleeve.

I dismount and try to adjust it, make it go back down. But the chair is adamant: it will not shift. 

I hover for a while hoping  someone who knows will pass by but eventually give up, move the chair further along the corridor, and pull up an ordinary seat. 

I slot my arm in and press the button. Nothing happens. I try again. Still nothing happens.

The nurse comes out of her room so I ask her if it's out of order. 'Is it switched on?' she says.
I look down at the plug. 'Oh no.' I switch it on and finally, at last, with my blood pressure probably now as high as the rising chair, it gets measured.

I am pleased: 115 over 60. Pretty good. 

I leave quietly hoping somebody can repair the chair.


3 comments:

Terra said...

How frustrating at the time, but rather amusing as you tell it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahahaha, good story! It reminded me of a very popular story here in Canada called "Blood Pressure Chair" by Stuart McLean. He was a humour writer who read his stories on a long-running CBC radio variety show. The hapless protagonist of many of his stories was Dave, who was a bit of a hypochondriac with no proficiency in machinery or home repairs. Here's an audio link to Stuart McLean reading the story, if you have about 15 minutes and want to hear it:

https://beta.prx.org/stories/5347

Polly said...

lol, my experience was similar to yours Liz. When I eventually got the chair to the right height I was having a hot flush, so I did two readings. I can't remember what they were but it was ok.