Monday, December 24, 2018

A tri-lingual Christmas to one and all!

As I said in the previous post, I love the run-up to Christmas. I always enjoy the day itself but there is a tension. Maybe it's because for many years now it's been all about cooking and worrying if the turkey is going to be dry or give everyone salmonella, if people will like their presents, if I'll have enough of everything, and, most importantly, if it will be the best Christmas ever - not just for me but for everyone else too. Wanting my family to have the best time ever is a burden I put on myself I know: there's no-one else to blame!

It may be different this year because tomorrow it won't be me cooking dinner. Younger Son and family have moved into their new house (last Thursday in fact) and YS is cooking dinner for us and for his in-laws visiting from Italy. Now that's intimidating cooking a turkey for the first time in a cooker you've hardly used!

So we're making our way there mid-morning and later on in the afternoon, when we get home, Daughter and family will come to visit. On Boxing Day Elder Son and his family will travel down to spend a couple of days with us too. So it's going to be a different Christmas But I'm really looking forward to it. 

Tonight, as Nuora's family is here from Italy I went to RC mass with them. (Husband came too! I don't think I'll ever recover from the shock.) It was a rather lovely service and made me feel ... peaceful. Yesterday's service in prison was disruptive and a not very nice atmosphere prevailed so tonight's light and brightness came as a happy relief.

And now I think it's time for bed. Feeling very jolly and chilled and happy. Hope you are too. And that Santa is very good to you. Make sure you get to sleep in plenty of time!

A very happy Christmas to one and all!
Nadolig llawen!
Buon Natale!

P.S. I haven't had time for the traditional Christmas photo (like my namesake the Queen I have certain traditions to maintain) so here's last year's!

3 comments:

Polly said...

That's a lovely photo Liz. You mentioned the prison service, do you visit or work there?

Liz Hinds said...

I volunteer, Polly. For the last 12 years or so I've gone in maybe once a month to help or just be at the Sunday service. And thank you. I've aged since last year!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

How lovely that you went to RC church with Nuora's family . I unfortunately didn't get to mass . We used to go Well done to Mike.too