Thursday, November 08, 2018

Knickers, suspenders and bras

Today I was reminded of the days when women bought their bras and knickers - and corsets - from the little shop around the corner.


And it was a little shop, not much bigger than the study in which I sit now. I wish I could remember the name of the shopkeeper. I want to say Miss Kemp but Kemp's was the 'large' drapery store on the main road. That was where my mum took me for my Ladybird clothes.

But the little shop around the corner was where my gran and my mother bought their underwear. Miss - let's call her Morgan - would pull out the appropriate drawer from under the counter or from the shelves that lined the wall and display her collection of right-sized knickers, each in their cellophane casing. (Did they have cellophane then? I'm sure I remember it thus.) The choice must have been limited but a visit always resulted in a sale.

The reason for this reminiscence is the glass-fronted display unit I saw on the pavement today. I assume it was being thrown away - and I was so tempted to say, 'I'll have it!' which would have been so silly but jolly good fun.
And nylons and suspender belts and all those unmentionables.

I must try and find out the name of the shop-keeper. It will annoy me otherwise. I remember Miss Killa from the shoe shop and Kath Eley who ran the local taxi service - her car in other words. And Taylors grocer's on the corner, with its dark wood panelling, open boxes of biscuits and counter service. It later became Masons and eventually self-service. That was where, on her first visit, my Auntie Grace wandered around filing a trolley and then straight out of the door and across to Fortes the ice cream parlour - without paying. The staff watched her and laughed. Everyone knew everyone then.
Taylor's on the corner of Dunns Lane


P.S. The FaceBook group, So you think you know Swansea? turned up trumps again. The shop-keeper was called Peggy Thomas.


7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Don't mention the hated suspender belts! Thank the Goddess they've gone the way of the dodo bird. Except for kink purposes, of course.

Polly said...

I remember those shops and those cabinets :-)

Liz Hinds said...

They were hideous, weren't they, Debra?

Nowadays you sometimes see them in places like charity shops for the knick-knacks, Polly.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

You got Ladybird clothes? I would have killed to be you! Instead I had a barage of female relatives who knitted, sewed and 're-purposed' (a greataunt's coat became one for 8 year-old me). The joys of being a child in post-war Britain.

Ole Phat Stu said...

@Debra,
OTOH, I have pleasant memories of my GF of the time prancing
about the apartment, wearing only stockings and a suspender belt :-)

Liz Hinds said...

These were special occasion clothes, Sonata. And vests. Liberty bodices - suddenly remembering those too.

The things women do for men, stu!

Anonymous said...

Interesting, Liz. Your suspender belt must be our garter belt. I recall wearing one when I was 3 years old to hold up my heavy cotton stockings in winter. Not a great garment! I found pantyhose a wonderful advancement, twenty-odd years later. As to shopping for undies: mine always came from the Sears & Roebuck catalog - or from the Sears store. Some of them still do!

SmitoniusAndSonata--I recall our mother wearing Dad's boxer shorts, being unable to buy women's undies during the war. A little tuck here-and-there made them "do". Fortunately, I've never been reduced to that.
Cop Car