Thursday, November 08, 2018

Brexit's a right imbroglio

In the car en route to my speaking engagement (doesn't that sound grand?) I was listening to Jeeves and Wooster on the radio and Bertie used the term imbroglio.

The only time I have heard the word used in recent years (okay, not that recent) is in relation to Natalie, and she probably spells it differently. In fact I wasn't sure how to spell it but I made an educated guess and was able to look it up in the dictionary. 

A confused mass or perplexing situation. It's a wonder I'm not more familiar with it as Bertie Wooster's life is one large imbroglio.

I shall have to try to use it in conversation, maybe saying, 'Brexit's a right imbroglio, isn't it?'

Apparently it can also be embroglio, from the Italian, meaning confusion.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You're right -- it's time for a revival of "imbroglio"!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

My mini thesaurus just gives embroil which isn't overused these days, either. A pity really; it sounds more refined than some of the expressions one hears now.

Liz Hinds said...

More and more so, Debra.

Many lovely words that should never have dropped out of use, Sonata.