Thursday, November 22, 2018

Being sensible about Christmas but not fat balls

I am determined this year to be more sensible in my Christmas shopping.

I say that every year. Then I get carried away and buy far too much.

Every year I also say that I'm going to watch Christmas films in the run-up to 25th December. Then I'm much too busy to do so.

But this year ... it's going to be different. Although it's not looking promising at the moment: whatever I'm supposed to be doing I keep being distracted by Christmas present ideas. And once I have an idea I have to immediately see if it's available, compare prices and work out if I'm going to buy it locally or online. 

I love the idea of supporting local tradespeople and artists but in reality, especially when it comes to children, it isn't really practical. That said I'm going to grandchildren's school Festive Shopping Event tonight where, if I'm not looking after said children, I hope to browse properly. Yes, I know: fat chance.

On a similar note I was hoping to get one of those flashing laser light projectors for the front of the house but Husband has said no simply because we don't have a power source out there. As if that's not solvable.

It's a very exciting time of year - all these deliveries bringing things I'd forgotten I'd ordered. It's just like the surprise of Christmas. 'Oh a box of fat balls!' Regular readers may remember the year Husband bought me a box of fat balls for Christmas, but this year I've bought them myself in order to fill this:

willow weave bird feeder
One of my birthday presents, hand-made by Younger Son.

I may, however, have got a bit carried away when I ordered the fat balls. But it was much cheaper buying 150.

Incidentally I received my first Christmas present and card yesterday.

2 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Sorry, that made me laugh. I have visions of a growing crowd of increasingly chunky birds settling round your house till Spring.

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about, Liz. I had thought that all balls were fat. Eventually, it dawned on me that you meant what we Americans call suet balls (not always made of suet, I'll grant.)

Had a good laugh at myself.
Cop Car