Monday, October 01, 2018

God's Biker

In prison yesterday morning to hear a man who walks around the country carrying a huge wooden cross. Clive Cornish had a difficult childhood and spent some time in prison for armed robbery. Now he travels, as I say, and also visits churches and prisons telling people that they can be free.

He said, 'I'll walk twenty-five miles in a day. When people see me at the start they may think, "what a knob,' but when they see me again at the end they think, "he's still a knob but an impressive one.' It gives me openings for conversations with people.'

I've been going into prison for about fifteen years now and I have to say he was probably the very speaker I've heard in there. His story was good - not overly dramatic - but effective and he was honest, not just about the past but about the present too. He said things I've never heard anyone else say and it was refreshing. So a really good morning.

Then in the evening it was off to the Hyst, a bar in Swansea, for the launch of Sean's book, God's Biker. Sean leads the church that is Zac's Place as well as being part of the biker community. The place was packed! He's just completed a short tour of venues in England and his publishers have sold out and have ordered an urgent reprint. I'm planning to write another blog post all about Zac's so I'll leave it with these words from a Baptist minister and broadcaster, 'Sean's community of "glorious chaos and complicated beauty" changes lives. His whole story challenges us to learn from fragile people.'

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's inspiring to see people living their faith, so long as they're not trying to oppress others with it.

Liz Hinds said...

I can assure you that neither of these men do, Debra. They're good 'uns.