Thursday, March 08, 2018

Now the interesting bit

Over the holiday I read three books.

The Golem and the Djinni
by Helene Wecker
This magical fantasy (maybe) is not my usual sort of book but I really enjoyed it. I came to care about the 'people' and the history subtly included in it was great. A golem is a person made of clay and a djinni is a, well, genie. ****

Mr Chartwell
by Rebecca Hunt
A short novel - I read it in a day - nevertheless very enjoyable. A strange tale about a young woman who takes in a lodger, who is, in fact, a dog. The very same black dog that hounds Winston Churchill. Depression looked at in a very entertaining and novel way. 

I would have given it four stars but the author, who has obviously done a lot of research, fell into the trap of wanting to use it all and frequently mentioned things like the ornaments on the fireplace, which had no relevance to the story. ***

Laura Lake and the Hipster Weddings
by Wendy Holden
Very different from the other two this is by an author whose previous works I've read. Light-hearted, slightly silly in places, great over-the-top characterisations and an all-round good holiday read. ****

(They appear to have changed the title.)

No comments: