Monday, November 13, 2017

Mountain boarding for Darby and Joan

mountain boarding
Me before I break my hip
Yesterday morning walking in Clyne before it rained I noticed they were running a free mountain boarding session for children. I was very tempted to ask if they had one big enough for a sixty-five-year-old on her birthday but then I thought, 'I might break my hip.' And that would put a damper on my birthday celebrations.

I've never had that thought before; it was turning sixty-five that did it. Suddenly I became aware of the frailties of my body. 

Actually I'm fairly confident that my hips are in good shape. I'm flexible and exercise and I eat lots of cheese. Or did before The Diet. And as Husband said, 'You have plenty of padding.'

Although I've been getting my pension for two and a half years approximately for some reason I still think of sixty-five as real pensioner age. I don't feel old of course but does anyone ever?

Darby and Joan. My gran used to go to the Oystermouth darby and joan club. Who or what were D&J? Time to google.

It turns out that the first Darby and Joan club was opened in 1946 by the WVS (women's voluntary service) as a meeting place for older people to enjoy companionship, a cup of tea, a game of cards or sometimes a hot meal. The first one in Lincoln was followed by clubs all over the country many of which still exist today. The name, Darby and Joan, comes from an 18th century poem by Henry Woodfall about a happily married couple.


4 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

It's just the Milestone Effect . Elder Grandson's just turned ten and momentarily looked positively haggard about it all .

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Start to be careful! Much as it "hurts" the ego.

Better a bit more careful, than a twisted back, or broken/sprained 'something.'

Listen to your elders! I'm an 80 year old Crone, and I CAN give advice!!!

-smirk-

Luna Crone

Jimmy said...

The mountain boarding looks pretty exciting, I think I would watch it from afar rather than participate though :)

Liz Hinds said...

Bless him, Sonata. And he still has the 'teen' years to come!

I will be careful - when I can - Luna. Didn't have much say in it lat night though.

I would have wanted a board I could sit on, Jimmy, if I had been brave enough.