Sunday, August 20, 2017

Stone Skimming Champion of the World!

It is possible to be a stone skimming champion. And I never knew.

At last here is a sport in which I could participate and excel. Why did I not know this before? But it's not too late. I could still be a champion.

This weekend the All England stone skimming championship has been happening at Lake Windermere and Charlotte Greenway is hoping to be the first woman to win. It doesn't sound likely as her personal best is 45m compared to the 85 m from last year's (male) champion but she does hold the title of British Women's Stone Skimming Champion.

The fact that victory is measured by distance not hops could be my downfall. As could the fact that there have to be at least three hops as I've never actually got beyond three. Or even reached three but I keep on trying as this video from our 2008 holiday in Canada demonstrates.

But at least now I have an aim in life.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

That's something you can shoot for! I never heard about any contest here, but what do I know? I used to be pretty good at it, note: used to, haha.

Liz Hinds said...

I've never been any good at it. I've tried and tried.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I read about the competition the other day .. I would be unlikely to win it too .

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Cool contest!

I am not athletic at all and am sure, I'd not excel at this either. -grin-

But I do have an excuse for not being athletic. I am 80, and girls were not being-all-into-sports, when I was little. And me-thinks it is best, to start out young.

Anyway, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!!! >,-)