Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Whoops, whoops, whoops!

I forgot to post yesterday. And I don't have any interesting photos to share either. I could tell you what I was doing though.

I was planning a Passover meal. A Christianised and abbreviated version for Rubies, the women's group at Zac's on Thursday.

It's quite fascinating, the history and the explanation of all the symbolic acts, and the fact that it was the last supper that Jesus ate before he was arrested and crucified. 

So I'm out today to buy the various components. As Passover began yesterday evening with the first Passover seder (meal) and runs until 18th April I shouldn't have any problems finding ingredients in the shops. Although I'm not sure how large the Jewish population is in Swansea. Wait and I'll try and find out.

Okay, so in the 2011 census less than 2,000 people in the whole of Wales said they were Jewish although some are reluctant to 'tick the box' for a variety of reasons. That's a significant decline from earlier in the twentieth century when Cardiff, Newport and Swansea all had thriving Jewish communities. Today Swansea's is decreasing and ageing.

I shall leave you waiting with bated breath!



2 comments:

Sharon said...

What are you planning to have?

Liz Hinds said...

Brisket and potato kugel for the meal but I had to get the parsley and horse-radish and stuff. It turns out to not be easy to find matzos. So I'm used ryvita instead ...