Friday, June 10, 2016

Things I have learned ...

from leading a women's bible study group.

1. How to interrupt
I was a shy well brought up child who had been taught that it was rude to interrupt - not that I ever had much opportunity in the family of talkers into which I was born. As a result I have spent hours of my life staring glassy-eyed at (mostly) men and (also) women incapable of interpreting body language as they enthused/ranted over their particular passion to me. So much time wasted.

Now, however, I am learning to grab the slightest pause for breath to jump in and get us back on course - see point 2.

2. That without a firm structure in place and adhered to, albeit loosely, a bible study can very easily turn into a navel-gazing women's group. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that if that's what you want but it's not what I signed up for. In some circumstances it can be appropriate but on the whole I don't think it is particularly helpful. And our purpose is bible study.

3. When it comes to food and pleasing people sometimes it's okay to just say, 'Sod it, I'm doing this for lunch and people can eat it or not as they want.'

Again I blame my upbringing. I was brought up to eat what I was given - except broad beans. No amount of cajoling or persuasion on my gran's part could convince me that I liked them. She always insisted that I'd never tried them; I said she said that every summer and that I had and didn't like them.

4. There is a point 4 but I'm not going to go into it here. (It doesn't involve any individuals.)

Let me make it clear that I never had any intention of running a women's group of any kind. I disliked them, always avoided women's weekends in Linden, couldn't be doing with them. So when Sean suggested that I start a day time bible study for women I was less than keen but wanted to support so went along with it.

And now I love it. I love the research and studying the bible and finding out more about God and his amazing love for us. I am very protective about the mixed little group of women who turn up every week and I believe they benefit or at least enjoy the time we have together too.

I know that I am not the perfect leader but I'm all there is and I'm learning so we'll make do until better comes along.

No comments: