Monday, May 30, 2016

Wearing big pants

How odd. 

While glancing at my blog stats I noticed that one of the most popular posts recently was one from April 2006. I say most popular; I mean had a lot of page views (comparatively - we're talking single figures here). I clicked on it and read this:

It was Angelo's farewell lunch today. He's been with us (as part of a team and the volunteering with Alun) for nearly three years. Alun made a (very) short but surprisingly serious speech and Angelo did the same. Aah, bless. We shall miss him.

For the last two years, while Angelo has been working with Alun in our office, the phrase most often on my lips has been 'Pull your trousers up, Angelo!' Today in his honour we - although I noticed it was only the women who put the effort in - wore big exposed pants. Yes, we shall miss him.

I have absolutely no memory of wearing big exposed pants. Admittedly it was 10 years ago but, still, it's the sort of thing you'd think I'd remember. Or take a photo of.

Earlier this morning I started singing an old song and surprised myself by knowing all the words. At this moment I can remember the song but trust me, they weren't beautiful memorable words. Something involving monkeys and ... something else. Now I am going to be trying to remember that instead of concentrating on the church in Philadelphia and the rapture and other tricky topics that will crop up in bible study at Zac's tomorrow.

Aaah, wait. 

Six, eight, nine, the goose drank wine, the monkey chewed tobacco on the street car line, the line broke, the monkey got choked and we all went to heaven in a little row boat, clap hands ...

Stamp your feet, banging on a big bass drum, what a picture, what a picture, stick in the family album.

(Yes, I know they're two different songs but one leads naturally into the other.) 
Now aren't you glad I remembered that? You'll have a new ear worm, which is marginally worse than 'Give me oil in my lamp keep me burning.'

5 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Big pants ? Do you mean proudly declaring to the world that BJORN BORG made some money out of your latest underwear purchase ?
Meanwhile , all I can think of is everyone's family albums in sixty years time , full of photos of respected family elders when they were young lads ...

Liz Hinds said...

I wish i could remember, Sonata! Oh there will be some embarrassment in those days. Or perhaps pride, who knows?

nick said...

I certainly remember the second song. From Tommy Steele, I think, sometime in my childhood.

Big exposed pants? I'm as mystified as you. The opposite of big well-hidden pants?

Jay, Sparking Synapse said...

Hahaha! Big exposed pants ... I take it you mean 'above the trouser waist'?

My most read blog from the Depp Effect was the one about the letters wearing off my keyboard. I think I called it 'The Touch Typist and the Missing Keyboard' or something like that. A's most read from Yellow Swordfish was about trying to find the hash key on a Mac. Funny what people pick up on, isn't it?

Liz Hinds said...

Nick, don't you have them in Ireland? Young men who wear their trousers hanging about their backsides exposing their underwear?

Then again, Jay, when I think about some of the subjects I research ...