Monday, May 23, 2016

erotic flea poetry

I've created a new blog! (Yes, another one.) This time to make public my efforts to lose weight in an attempt to make myself stick to it. I've called it, Middle-aged, fat and frumpy - you can tell I was feeling really good when I wrote that!

We shall see. I know what I should do - or shouldn't - but whether I abide by that only time will tell.

* * * * * * 

In the car this morning I heard an excerpt from a poem by John Donne, the 15th/16th century metaphysical poet. Called The Flea It made me laugh although I'm not sure that was the intention of the author, who spent much of his time, it seems, writing poetry to persuade women to go to bed with him. I don't how successful he was but, judging from this one, I wouldn't have thought very.

Mark but this flea, and mark in this,
How little that which thou deny'st me is;
It sucked me first, and now sucks thee,
And in this flea, our two bloods mingled be;
Thou knowest that this cannot be said
A sin, nor shame, nor loss of maidenhead.
Yet this enjoys before it woo,
And pampered, swells with one blood made of two,
And this, alas, is more than we would do.



5 comments:

Leslie: said...

Well, that's another line to get a woman to sleep with you, right? LOL

Liz Hinds said...

Not sure he'd win me over!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

It sounds like the sort of chat up line 13 year-old lads would come up with ...

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

which is probably why 13 year-old girls never go out with them .

Liz Hinds said...

You're right, Sonata! That made me laugh.