Thursday, January 08, 2015

Good etiquette for pelicans

Every time I find myself behind a VW Touareg I find myself trying to work out what it is an anagram of. I mean, no-one would really call a car a Touareg would they? Not unless it was a cunning joke, understood only by those in the know, who cover their mouths with their hands and snigger every time they see one on the road.

It's not even a proper word.


(Bother, I just blew my nose with the tissue I used to mop up tea.)

And talking of roads, what is the correct etiquette for pelican crossings?

If you've pressed the button and are waiting patiently when a gap in the traffic appears while the man is still red, do you:
a) ignore it and wait for the green man;
b) cross in the gap with never a second thought for the cars who will soon have to stop for no-one;
c) cross guiltily in the gap and then hide so none of the drivers realises it's you who pressed the button?



6 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Touareg is an anagram of Outrage ;-)

Nuff sed ;-)

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you!

Katney said...

It is a proper word. It is a tribe or group of nomadic people in the Sahara.

and maybe also an outrage.

Katney said...

pelican crossing?????

Liz Hinds said...

I knew I should have looked it up and checked, Katney!
What do you call them?

Anne in Oxfordshire said...



Anne in Oxfordshire said...
At a crossing I wait for the green man .. My youngest son always asks why I don't cross if there is nothing coming .. I don't know why, I just do and it comes in handy for training the grandchildren , who actually are so well trained they say "Nanny you have to wait for the Green man

I love what goes on in your mind :-)

The vehicle was named after the Tuareg people, a Berber-speaking group in North Africa. Wikipedia.