Wednesday, January 28, 2015

An old boot

Had to go on a photo shoot this afternoon. Me and a load of old boots. I feared I was setting myself up for a punchline.

As it turned out the old boots were less worn than I am. 
Abacus, a recruitment company, was getting rid of about 20 pairs of almost new waterproof shoes and boots, and one of their employees, Pete Russell, who's a good friend of Zac's, suggested they give them to us in return for a photo and a bit of publicity. Sean volunteered me for the photo shoot hence today's little trip.

The two young women in the photo with me are employees of Abacus persuaded by Pete (who's also a professional photographer) to be photographed. They both insisted they looked too knackered, were too fat, would have to do their make-up before they agreed and just look how gorgeous they are!

Pete also wanted a quote for the press release so here's what I said:
“Foot problems are common amongst rough sleepers because, in wet weather, they have no facilities to dry their feet or spare shoes to change into, so we’re delighted to receive this donation of waterproof shoes from Abacus.

“We’ll keep most of them at Zac’s Place, in central Swansea, to hand out as needed but a few pairs will be going to Rough Edges, our charity shop for men in Gors Avenue. The profits from the shop help support the work that Zac’s does with the homeless all year round.”

P.S. Before I left the house I asked Husband if I looked all right to have my photo taken. He looked at me and said, 'You smell nice.' (Especially for Furtheron!)


4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great gesture from Abacus and a photo and publicity in return. Wonderful! There will be some very appreciative people on the receiving end of warm dry footwear. You all look gorgeous in the photo!

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, robyn. And the shoes are in such great condition, they'll do such a good job.

Ole Phat Stu said...

When you'd done, did they shoe you out? ;-)

Furtheron said...

I tried scratch and sniff I seem to not have the right interface!