Friday, October 24, 2014

The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion

I first came across Fannie Flagg with her Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (before it was and better than the film) and I've read all her books since and this one, her latest, is probably the best yet.
The story flicks back and for between now and the second world war when Sookie, a middle-aged woman, discovers she's not who she thinks she is but was in fact adopted. Her adoptive mother, now in her eighties, is a very dominant character and Sookie's belief that she's never lived up to her mother's expectations is encouraged by her mother's comments and snobbishness.

It is by chance that Sookie finds out that her birth mother was a Polish Catholic WASP, one of a few American women who flew planes during the war - not in direct action but taking the place of drafted men and delivering planes from factories.

It's a great story with wonderfully likeable characters and I looked forward to reading it of a night-time; in fact I had to force myself to turn out the light so reluctant was I to put it down.

Highly recommended.

3 comments:

Rose said...

I read this sometime in the last year and really enjoyed it, too. As I remember, it wasn't as humorous as some of her other books, but it certainly was captivating. Great characters!

Liz Hinds said...

I thought of you when i wrote this, Rose!

Trubes said...

I think that lady was on the Great British dishes thingy on TV you know the one with Prue Leith as one of the Judges? I can't think of the name of the show. Anyway, that lady pilot was on as a guest re a WW2 banquet and she was tasting the food for the forthcoming banquet. She was a grand age, she spoke most eloquently, overall an aspiring person....if you haven't got my drift Liz, don't worry, probably moi 'having a moment'....lol Di xx
Btw there's another post up on my blog should you care to take a peek xx