Monday, November 14, 2011

Get stirring

It wasn't Stir Up Sunday* but I made my Christmas puddings nevertheless.

Of course when I started I discovered that I didn't have everything I needed so I improvised. I used ground almonds instead of chopped and then added extra chopped mixed nuts as well. No mixed peel so in went apricots. Not enough brandy so it had to be Cointreau. ('You used Cointreau?!!' Husband was not amused. 'I like to drink that!') And I added dates just for fun.

The fish kettle was put to use.
The finished products.

*The last Sunday before Advent is Stir-Up Sunday, the day when Christmas puddings are traditionally made. The name comes from the words of the prayer for the day, 'Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people.' (From the Book of Common Prayer, 1549) This year it's on 20th November.

It's traditional for all members of the family to have a stir and make a wish so I made Husband do his bit.

5 comments:

Rose said...

What a lovely tradition. I don't think we have anything like this in the U.S.

Furtheron said...

Memories - my Mum used to make the Christmas puds some time in Autumn and we'd all have to have a stir and make a wish.

I never eat them though - something in them disagrees with me, violently at times :-( so best I avoid them altogether.

Right up until Mum's death she supplied the family - my wife still is finding it a wrench that she has to buy hers now (the kids don't eat them either so it isn't worth her making any herself).

NitWit1 said...

I love reading of traditions with which I am not familiar. You really did STIR UP a lot of puddings! inthe spirit of the season.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

You're all quite partial to a bit of Christmas pud , then ?

sally in norfolk said...

making Christmas pudding is something i would really like to do ..but the long steaming time puts me off :-(