Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Prison - from bad to worse

My trip to prison on Sunday nearly started very badly when, flinging out my arm to wave to Ric and Nigel, I almost a decapitated a passing cyclist.

When we finally got into the chapel after being thoroughly searched, I noticed that the chairs in were set out in two lots as normal but the gap between them seemed to be a bit wider. Sitting at the back in line with the gap and my stand-at-the-front lectern were two less-than-happy prison officers.

Some don't mind being on chapel duty; others dislike it - and show their resentment. And these were directly in my line of vision.

People sometimes ask me if it's scary going into prison and talking to the inmates. Not half as bad as facing these two prison officers I can tell you.


No comments: