Sunday, May 15, 2011

Missing in action

Last Sunday Damien, a rough sleeper and alcoholic in his late twenties, died. Back in January I blogged about him. This is what I wrote:
Damien, paralytic and barely conscious, offered to read some verses for the bible study. Through the incoherence of his mumblings some words stood out. They weren't in the section he was 'reading' but I guess he thought they should be. The words were Jesus, need and cry.

In the same way the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. Romans 8:26

I believe God will have answered the prayer of his soul and that he'll finally have found peace from his tortured life.

April's son was killed six years ago serving in Afghanistan, shot by a sniper; as a result she turned to heroin. She's been clean now for three years. This week she heard that her other son is missing in action in Afghanistan.

If you're a pray-er please say a prayer for her and that her boy comes home safe.

8 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Oh dear this poor young man was crying out for help ..and yes I hope that he has finally found peace. I will pray for April and her missing son .. I just hope that she manages to stay clean .. it must be heart breaking for her, having lost one son already.

I can totally understand where they are coming from ...just like the man in a previous post with bipolar .. yep why hasn't God healed him .. and why does my son have to suffer with Asperger syndrome .. he is always asking why me!! I cannot answer him.. he is getting help but he wants to do more.

Rose said...

So sad; I will keep April in my thoughts and prayers. No mother should have to endure so much suffering.

Furtheron said...

Sad to hear on both counts...

I will indeed hope for the lady that she realises whatever is happening going back to the brown won't make it any better.

Damien RIP my friend and I'm pleased for you the torment has stopped, sad that there wasn't a better solution in life for you

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, poor young man. My thoughts are with April.

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you all.

Anne, I'm sorry to hear about your son's syndrome too.

NitWit1 said...

Very sad post but we need reality about how good things are for us.

I remember your post about Damien. How sad.

And the woman April, my heart bleeds for her. I feel we need to all get out of that country sinc UBL is gone. Terror is a fact of life unfortunately. In Us we have home grown ones we are ignoring while sending our very best to fight an unwinnable war.We offer a prayer for our military formally every Sunday service, and privately daily.

Gerry Snape said...

Having had a recent tenent in similar trouble brings home to you just how close we all are to the edge and how much we need understanding especially in the days when it all falls apart.

Chelliah Laity said...

I am so sorry that April is going through hell again. My prayers for her and the young man.