Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More bull - and bluebells

We see these bulls regularly on our walks. The brown one is a Charolais - which always makes me think of K D Lang - crossed with something and the other is something else crossed with something. Maybe a Welsh Black? Husband knows. He knows about bulls and he's talked to the farmer.

That photo was taken in Sunday's sunshine. Today in the rain George and I walked to the secret bluebell woods hidden off the track. The bluebells are beginning but haven't quite reached their full glory. There is something magical about the colour of a mass of bluebells. They seem to shimmer and almost glow.

But I noticed quite a few whitebells intruding. This is not a good thing. Let the whites in and they take over and wipe out the natives! A campaign of ethnic cleansing may be required.

I was just considering this deeply serious topic when I tripped and nearly tumbled down a steep bank. That was, I concluded, God's way of telling me that ethnic cleansing is never good. Which is just as well as I couldn't have done it. There was no way I could have pulled pulled up a sweet but not-so-innocent whitebell.

2 comments:

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

Well, you know that white mutants are not unknown in nature anyway, so those whitebells might be natural even if they are taking over.

Is that any consolation?

Perhaps at least it suggests we should be wary of meddling in the way the natural world works - a sentiment which I am totally on board with!

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell!

Liz Hinds said...

I know, jay, but I so love the blue ones! and, no, it was only a little trip - just a scary location for it - on the top path around an ancient quarry.